Web Analytics

Petunia going PvE Only?

Offline brendan

• +17/-26
    • View Profile
Re: Petunia going PvE Only?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »
i would not LEAVE if we went pve but taking away pvp is like taking away building form epoch or zombies altogher it would be bland and tasteless.

just my oppinion i respect the admins decision in this contrevircial topic.

Offline savedbygrace

• +20/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ofpec.com
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
Just another idea or two.

Many war zones have neutral areas that are so defended that neither side would attempt to risk the losses. Why not create a neutral zone large enough for people to relocate to and begin forming a civilized community of common ground by building close to one another, staying out of each others backyards(so to speak) and living in a continued peace. Venturing out of that neutral zone makes you fair game to anyone or thing. If you choose to stay in your base, that you have already constructed outside the neutral zone, you and your base also become fair game (no protection from the big bad server government). Any violators of that neutrality, are temp banned for 2 weeks and all their belongings are opened up by the government for free grabs by others. Their base is then destroyed and they must start over.

This could actually work to create militias who group together to scavenge outside of the safe zone in a common purpose and allow them to still play their own game and live solo in their own abode without having to compromise funky building plans and disorganized hoarding of unnecessary items with other players and their bad habits. It puts everyone closer together if they choose to live in this society but doesn't really penalize them for wanting to live outside the neutral zone. Bandits have their freedom, and so on.

Just a thought

Offline olafshruber

• +0/-0
  • New Servivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2013, 04:52:05 AM »

Many war zones have neutral areas that are so defended that neither side would attempt to risk the losses. Why not create a neutral zone large enough for people to relocate to and begin forming a civilized community of common ground by building close to one another, staying out of each others backyards(so to speak) and living in a continued peace. Venturing out of that neutral zone makes you fair game to anyone or thing. If you choose to stay in your base, that you have already constructed outside the neutral zone, you and your base also become fair game (no protection from the big bad server government). Any violators of that neutrality, are temp banned for 2 weeks and all their belongings are opened up by the government for free grabs by others. Their base is then destroyed and they must start over.

This could actually work to create militias who group together to scavenge outside of the safe zone in a common purpose and allow them to still play their own game and live solo in their own abode without having to compromise funky building plans and disorganized hoarding of unnecessary items with other players and their bad habits. It puts everyone closer together if they choose to live in this society but doesn't really penalize them for wanting to live outside the neutral zone. Bandits have their freedom, and so on.

Just a thought

That sounds... pretty damn cool.
Just have to figure out the neutral zone, or maybe even zones. Somewhere there is enough flat terrain to build numerous bases, and large enough that people don't need to next to one another. One zone could be A square like zone that encompasses Kabanino, Stary, Novy in ther north and Puklovo and Vishnoye to the south, Roglovo and Pogorevka to the West, and Guglovo and Kumryna would be east border. There is at lest 4 zones where missions(especially near guglovo) happen, so it's a viable area, one which you don't have to leave, so to speak. And another could be around Berezino/Klen area.

We'd have to impress upon newcomers these rules.

I always wanted to have base fights, especially large ones where you can just get lost, or the owners setup with like trapdoor rooms and such. So with those that choose to stay outside, we can. Of course we'd have to give ample time for those who want to relocate, and maybe even go PvE temporarly to help those who wanna move into safe zone time to gather building materials. I know a few people who would be more than happy to help anyone gather such supplies and halp to relocate. This would also probably ease the material strain on the server as there be fewer half complete bases out there, as people in safe zones would help each other, as it's easier to ask a neighbor for some supplies that in 200m away rather than someone who has a base 6km away.

Then the ambiguous zone would be removed, as both parties currently cry when someone shoots another person, the dead ones cry that they got killed in violation of rules, whereas the killers will maintain they did everything in accordance with the rules. If someone kills someone else in safe zone(save accidents, for those do happen) get automatically banned for a few days etc. Outside that you got the wild west and it would save the constant issues. Obviously it be forbidden to camp just at the border and pick people off as they leave, but it would setup a scenario that if you wanna get a mission outside the zone you must reckon with bandits, and going unprepared(in a larger group with someone doing overwatch) will be accurately dangerous.

What do you all think,I dunno, anything but full PvE.

Offline Nobody

• +11/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »

Just a thought

This is a very fascinating idea! So it could be a 'survivor camp' area? I guess it would be easier for you all to help each other out and gear might be better protected. I guess we could even put a god-mode dome over it to reduce the likelihood of 'accidental' deaths....? (Would depend on what Mike and Mordi think - I'm just day dreaming out loud). It could be big enough for everyone to have their own 'patch' but still small enough to encourage people to work together more effectively....? Hmmm, it would be interesting to see how people would react. It would be a bit of a social experiment hehehe!

Having a safe area like this though might have the effect of making the rest of the map MORE PvP perhaps, do you think...?

Llike Olafshrubber points out though, it might be a problem when new players join and don't know/understand. Could be a bit excluding for them....?

Anyway, I love your idea. It's a great idea! Although....I think Mike is already working on something! ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:38:28 PM by Nobody »

Offline Shane

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
I know this is besides the point really but I'M NOT REALLY A FAN of the safe zone thing. More so because i Have trust issues and you cant lock sheds, so there would need to be some sort of permissions system etc. Also building bases is fun but it is rather irritating and time consuming, I wouldn't be bouncing up and down with the thought of downsizing and making a new base again lol.

As for new players joining in there would have to be x amount of plots free for new people etc other wise we run into the real life problem of not enough room. Lets face it the current epoch building system is not the best for building up instead of out lol. Also newbs would be very at a lose considering how vastly different it would be from other servers and without really knowing where to go or a way to find it if they did they would be fair game for would be bandits.

As per Fox's earlier comments about the server mood.
I agree man I remember when 2yys and I first joined up everyone was soo nice. there were a few players that really helped us out and we have tried to do continue that trend in the same way. That being said with soo many friendlies switching sides and untrusted noobs coming on and asking for help(coupled with the extreme prices of m2's) make even us leery to put our neck out there to help people out. There is that massive community as there was before. Now there are a disjointed collection of groups that are friendly. We Generally actually don't even do missions with people other then omni or one of the not the bandit guys. This isn't because we are assholes but because of incidents that have accumulated it has worn our trust a little thing.  It deff would be an advantage to going all pve with only certain large or small areas pvp. Anyways thats my 2cents about where we are at lol. continue on your debats. What ever happens we support you guys as admins decision and we will be here:).

Hope everyone is having fun and having a good day. talk to everyone later  am visiting my Girlfriend so I wont e on this weekend. Peace out.

Offline savedbygrace

• +20/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ofpec.com
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2013, 02:29:19 AM »
Well, I'm not a PVP type player and PVE would certainly be to my liking. BUT, it's obviously not for everyone. The whole safe zone ideal would be optional, not mandatory. You could probably even move Hero traders inside that safe zone since bandits have no need for it? You would still build you base with locks and stuff, and they would still be off limits to others but you'd just be nearer to them and thus could stop by and ask for some toilet paper or perhaps a blood bag. I discovered recently about the base building and setposition command on a server, seems sandbags are set on ground level at reboots and are not set where the client placed them initially and thus utterly useless. I also discovered that corrugated walls are destructible :( . But it was just an idea for the admins to knock around.

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2013, 02:42:53 AM »
I really like some of the recent ideas by you guys here - seriously :D You lot are great! Initially we're thinking of a simpler solution but I might want to chat about some of the ideas/adjust more towards these ideas a bit in the near future :D

I'll be announcing the decision and ideas this weekend... I think we've come up with something that will be good- hardened PvP folks may still not be 100% happy - but we hope the majority will be okay with it!

More info to follow, and of course what we roll with can be tweaked/adjusted as we move forwards :)

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2013, 02:47:13 AM »
Hey :)

Hmmm okay - Sandbags I can prob fix ;) I will have to look into this as there's a reason they are like that ;) The old bb 1.2 we ran and the map building stuff that is there by default would, with the epoch base buildings, float!

So I added some SQF to setpos those buildables to ground level so that we could keep the map add-ons. However maybe the sandbags are in there too ;) I'll check the classnames and sort if I can this weekend :D

Re: The corrugated walls, I'll check those as well - I modded Epoch buildables to be indestructible (epoch refused to have it as an option, lol) so I prob just need to pop the classname into the script I use for indestructible bases (maybe I missed them!) - I also have to do this when Epoch bring out any new buildables etc :D

Anyway thanks for the info on those - will try to get both sorted this weekend, and will post an update on the whole PvE thing this weekend too :D

Well, I'm not a PVP type player and PVE would certainly be to my liking. BUT, it's obviously not for everyone. The whole safe zone ideal would be optional, not mandatory. You could probably even move Hero traders inside that safe zone since bandits have no need for it? You would still build you base with locks and stuff, and they would still be off limits to others but you'd just be nearer to them and thus could stop by and ask for some toilet paper or perhaps a blood bag. I discovered recently about the base building and setposition command on a server, seems sandbags are set on ground level at reboots and are not set where the client placed them initially and thus utterly useless. I also discovered that corrugated walls are destructible :( . But it was just an idea for the admins to knock around.

Offline Pip

• +24/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »
I will ask this in the best of intentions...

Guys, PLEASE don't nanny state the server.....
Give Pip something with a barrel on it, and he will slap Bitches with it.
-Bobthethurd

Offline Cason

• +2/-0
  • Ghost has few friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 05:40:08 AM »
i think pvp should still be allowed, back when it was all friendlies i would roll around in crappy cars doing what i wanted. Now with bandits and pvp I have to look out around me, if I make a wrong move and a player can kill me he can if he wants. It's the joy of DayZ. Players give a special sense that AI just can't do no matter how good they are programmed.
Rawr

jef

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
Soooo..... the voting has come to an end, what was the outcome guys?

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 12:43:35 AM »
Hey Jef :)

Final announcement will be made tomorrow - was planning on doing it today, but still finalising some stuff on test server.

I want to check all with other admins before announcing etc, so will update tomorrow - hope that's okay :)

Mike.

One-Offf Donations

Your help keeps us going!

Donor Subscriptions (NEW!)

Monthly Subscribers make much better Lovers!

Subscribe Here

Teamspeak 3 Server

IP > ts3.petuniaserver.com

Recent

Discord

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2019, 10:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 2318
  • Total Topics: 409
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 69
  • (June 22, 2014, 07:48:41 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 6