Web Analytics

Thoughts on this hardware? (Request from Mike)

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this hardware? (Request from Mike)
« on: December 12, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »
So I need a decent gaming rig for work (sounds odd, but it's for some VR / Oculus and 3d Video stuff).

What do you guys think to the spec below? (plus I've got a specific question at the end!)...

Case:
SHARKOON VG4-W GAMING CASE (Green LED)

CPU:
i7-6700k

CPU Cooling:
Artic MX-4 extreme thermal paste
Corsair H100i GTX Hydro series high performance CPU cooler (liquid)

Motherboard:
ASUS z170 PRO GAMING ATX, LG1151 — OR — Asus Maximus VIII Hero RoG

RAM:
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8gb)

GPU:
6gb NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti

Primary OS Drive:
m.2 SATA Samsung SM951 512gb for main OS drive

Data Drive:
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for data drive

PSU:
Corsair 850w RM servers 80 plus ultra quiet PSU

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

WARRANTY:
3 Year Warranty

QUESTION... for those more in the know than me these days…

Motherboards - the ASUS z170 PRO GAMING ATX, LG1151 OR the Asus Maximus VIII Hero RoG?

I’m already stretching my budget WAY beyond what I intended… and it’s guns hurt :D - Is there MUCH to gain by going for the Maximus Hero over the z170 Pro Gaming?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:28:44 AM by Mike »

Offline Hexofix

• +0/-0
  • New Servivor
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on this hardware? (Request from Mike)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 08:46:33 AM »
Hi Mike, if your budget is already stretched thin I would just go with the cheaper motherboard. You're not going to see much of a performance difference in those models. I would just go with a board that has the little extra features that you prefer and what looks the best with your case. I prefer MSI boards personally. Another contender is ASRock. They make pretty solid boards for there price.

It might be a good idea to rethink the Corsair to save a bit of money. I was so close to buying that cooler but I decided to go with the Cooler Master V8. It was a lot cheaper and keeps my CPU nice and cool with overclocking from 3.7 to 4.2.

Finally, I would drop the 1GB SSD for a 3TB 7,200 RPM. I have 5 different hard drives including my OS drive being a SSD with most of my games installed on a 1TB 7,200 as well as multiple other games and programs installed on some others and honestly I haven't noticed really any performance difference. I have played around with this by moving games to and from the SSD to see if I get any increase in performance but there was no noticeable difference.

P.S. If you are planning on buying Windows 10 outright, I would recommend buying a cheap Windows 7 COA key from eBay and upgrading it to Windows 10 for free. I purchased by key for $35 I believe it was.

Good luck with the build, it looks pretty solid!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:49:16 AM by Hexofix »

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »
Hey :)

Thanks for the input, you've given me some stuff to think about for sure :D

Part of the reason for being SSD only btw is that I will be moving the PC around a fair bit at times, using it to power Oculus for events (marketing), including events with generators. Altho I'll run the PC thru a UPS to stop sudden power loss, I've found SSDs better in that situation due to not having to worry about heads not parking properly if some muppet (sorry, I mean untrained staff member or member of the public) knocks out a power cable etc :D Plus, due to the use of the PC, I won't go over 1tb for data drive. I guess my needs are a bit different from standard gaming in a way, as I'll be using it for work/marketing at events etc too :)

Cheers again for the info, I'll take a look for MSI boards too for comparison I reckon and re-read the rest of your post too to see what else could be changed :)

Hi Mike, if your budget is already stretched thin I would just go with the cheaper motherboard. You're not going to see much of a performance difference in those models. I would just go with a board that has the little extra features that you prefer and what looks the best with your case. I prefer MSI boards personally. Another contender is ASRock. They make pretty solid boards for there price.

It might be a good idea to rethink the Corsair to save a bit of money. I was so close to buying that cooler but I decided to go with the Cooler Master V8. It was a lot cheaper and keeps my CPU nice and cool with overclocking from 3.7 to 4.2.

Finally, I would drop the 1GB SSD for a 3TB 7,200 RPM. I have 5 different hard drives including my OS drive being a SSD with most of my games installed on a 1TB 7,200 as well as multiple other games and programs installed on some others and honestly I haven't noticed really any performance difference. I have played around with this by moving games to and from the SSD to see if I get any increase in performance but there was no noticeable difference.

P.S. If you are planning on buying Windows 10 outright, I would recommend buying a cheap Windows 7 COA key from eBay and upgrading it to Windows 10 for free. I purchased by key for $35 I believe it was.

Good luck with the build, it looks pretty solid!!

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »
Okay! Rig(s) ordered!

Thanks to everyone for their help & advice :D

In the end, after advice from this forums (cheers guys!), advice from the Oculus forum (main use of the PCs) and advice from the store (pretty decent folk) I went with the following rigs:

Case   COOLERMASTER CM690 III ADVANCED CASE (GREEN)
Processor (CPU)   Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz)
CPU Cooling   Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Motherboard   ASUS® X99-A: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM)   16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz X.M.P (4 x 4GB)
Graphics Card   6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3 DP
OS Drive: 512GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2150MB/R, 1550MB/W)
Data Drive   1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD Drive   24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
PSU CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Warranty   3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 year labour)
Promotional Item   FREE GAME BUNDLE with select INTEL® CPUs! (World of Warships, Just Cause 3, Counter Strike GO)

The reasons:

CPU - I went with the 6 core rather than the quad, even though the single core speed is slightly slower. Mainly because we'll be doing some video editing & other stuff whilst multitasking, but also because it seems the 5830k can be overclocked to 4.4GHz pretty comfortably. Also seems that this won't be a bottleneck for even pretty demanding VR stuff, 6 core seems the best option on balance.

Case - I went with a slightly higher priced one, but not as high a price as some options (it's for work, after all!)
Games - Oh, cool - some free shit! :D

Finally, I had to get one of these rigs for the office (it's for work), but as I work from home a LOT, I had to get one for there too of course :D

Delivery won't be till after xmas tho :( Boo... So 1st or 2nd week in Jan it seems. I've got the MSI laptop back though, all repaired, so I just need to restore the drive over the weekend (I backup & wipe before sending for repair!) and I'll back back online again properly :D

One-Offf Donations

Your help keeps us going!

Donor Subscriptions (NEW!)

Monthly Subscribers make much better Lovers!

Subscribe Here

Teamspeak 3 Server

IP > ts3.petuniaserver.com

Recent

Discord

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 07:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 2318
  • Total Topics: 407
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 815
  • (January 22, 2020, 10:33:32 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10