Improving Your FPS with Arma 112555 Beta

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
Improving Your FPS with Arma 112555 Beta
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »
Hey all!

Just wanted to let you all know why I've not been on the last couple of days :D

The new Beta causes some RPT errors in the log files, which in turn seems to reduce FPS... Not good!

Turns out the new beta actually just reports on errors that have always been there with certain DayZ / EPOCH mods... and some of the lag is likely just caused by all the writing to the RPT file.

More lag is caused by the fact the 112555 Beta version screwed up the deleteVehicle command! Things 'vanish' as they should fromt he game when deleted, but alas, they still 'exist' and clog up the server (until reboot)

This is used for things like cleaning up dead AI after missions and other similar 'fps boosting' cleanup stuffs...

Both of the issues above combined can = lag!

WHAT YOU CAN DO AND WHAT WE ARE DOING:

>>> What you can do to improve FPS with the new Arma 112555 Beta

There is a NEW COMMAND with the 112555 beta which CAN help a BIT...

Remember those extra error reports that are writing to logs? Well the logs are not JUST on the server, they are client-side on your PCs too!

With the Arma 112555 beta, there's the option to TURN OFF this logging... this should help FPS a bit. Here's how to do it (I'll put a video up soon too and embed here!):

Adjust your launch parameters (video coming soon showing how to do this):

-nologs

If you add that to the end of your current launch parameters, that should turn off the client-side RPT log and stop loads of SPAM being written to it, which MAY help (at least a bit!).

NOTE: You likely have a pretty big RPT file already, so I'd recommend emptying that whilst you're at it! Just do this, open the following file in NOTEPAD:

C:\Users\{Your Windows Username Here}\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\arma2oa.rpt
(be sure you get the RPT file, not any of the others)

* Hit Control-A (select all)
* Hit the backspace key (delete) to wipe ALL of the shite in there
* Click 'Save'
* Close the file
* Job done!

^^^ Doing the above, AND the -nologs startup parameter should help.

VIDEO OF HOW TO DO BOTH OF THESE THINGS:

(coming soon!)

>>> What are WE doing improve FPS with the new Arma 112555 Beta

This is the bit where I explain why I've not been about much the last couple of days!

Remember I said above that the 112555 beta version is reporting on errors that existed in various DayZ Epoch mods, but that were not being reported on before???

Well, here's what I'm doing to try to help the FPS issues for you guys:

* Reading HUGE log files to find errors
* Seeing what files are triggering the errors I find
* Trying to track the errors down to an individual line/command
* Fixing that shit!
* Go back to the log files and pick the next error :D

I'm doing this on the test server of course, to make sure you guys don't miss out on gameplay on the live servers!

What am I working on right now/how far have I got to go?:

I've found a couple of things I want to focus in on...

1) Old style mission systems (the green/yellow/red ones):

^^^ These are triggering errors. The newer mission systems are not however! (Mayors mansion etc)... So, I'm going to re-code every fecking one of the green/yellow/red mission systems and integrate them into the newer mission system :P

This doesn't mean huge change in-game or anything, in fact, it will probably be pretty hard to notice the change! However it should help stop lag as I'll be fixing errors.

Files to edit:

* 18 to 22 files of about 100 lines or so of code each file to fully re-write

2) Bus Route:

The bus route is also causing issues! So I'm going to get rid of it completely and code my own from scratch :S

Files to edit:

A folder and about 5 or 6 files to get ride of, then a few hundred lines of code to write

Time Need For The Above Fixes:

About 6 to 10hrs of coding - but I can only manage a few hrs each evening after my IRL job at the moment (busy at work) so doing my best and will have it sorted soon! Aiming to have all done for the weekend!!!

Anyway - that's why I've not been about on chat or TS much - and why I've only been on very briefly when I have been there! Head full of code at the moment!

The good thing is that this will fix some problems in the code and make the server better... Just need to up my caffeine intake! :)

UPDATES:
(to be filled in shortly!)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:42:55 AM by Mike »

Offline Mordecai The Fox

• +14/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Your FPS with Arma 112555 Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »
Mike,

I sent you an email regarding the FPS issue as well.  Of which it involves removing the bus route.  The other players can probably speak for this but I would honestly say just remove the bus route entirely.  It was used in the earlier days of the server but now that we can deploy bikes from our toolboxes it seems like a waste of time for you to do.  I would say let the other players voice their opinion over it as well.

Offline Mike

• +259/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »
To be honest if people didn't mind, just removing the bus route would indeed be easier! (Sorry Otto!)

We could always add it back at a later date I guess, if people missed it!

Mike,

I sent you an email regarding the FPS issue as well.  Of which it involves removing the bus route.  The other players can probably speak for this but I would honestly say just remove the bus route entirely.  It was used in the earlier days of the server but now that we can deploy bikes from our toolboxes it seems like a waste of time for you to do.  I would say let the other players voice their opinion over it as well.

Offline Pip

• +24/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »
Nuke the bus route.. Honestly, Otto just gets in peoples way most of the time.  Save yourself some hassle and just pull it.  I really don't think anyone has taken the bus in quite a while anyways.....
Give Pip something with a barrel on it, and he will slap Bitches with it.
-Bobthethurd

One-Offf Donations

Your help keeps us going!

Donor Subscriptions (NEW!)

Monthly Subscribers make much better Lovers!

Subscribe Here

Teamspeak 3 Server

IP > ts3.petuniaserver.com

Recent

Discord

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 11:29:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 2318
  • Total Topics: 407
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 815
  • (January 22, 2020, 10:33:32 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12